July 19, 2012

aaaahhhhh


I avoid drawing from imagination a lot, which is stupid. But I do it because I'm always frustrated and vaguely ashamed at how bad I am at it. Which again is stupid because I'll never improve this way... so I drew some figures this week from my head. Didn't feel like scanning my studies on paper, I'll do it next week. But umm... they were all pretty terrible. At the same time, this is the only way I'll actually improve haha. But it's just painful to lay down marks and have it look terribly wrong, all the time.  I guess it just shows me what I really need to work on, which is about a million different things. But I'll get less shitty, I will, I willl....



hey it's erik ^^^ 










Oh yes, and... movie reviews for the week :0



Belle De Jour (1967) 4.5 / 5


Belle De Jour is a subtle, enthralling movie that explores the divide between lust and love, elegance and depravity. There is a mystical sort of enchantment that carries through the film, which is boosted by its well placed surreal moments, which are always harkened by the tinkling of bells. Very well directed; the story is crafted with masterful skill.

District 9
 (2009) 4 / 5


For what it is - an action sci-fi thriller - District 9 does an excellent job of staying away from cliche and the expected. Though as with all action movies, there was a bit too much frenzied shooting for me and some of the plot 'twists' were a bit predictable, all in all District 9 provides a realistic portrayal of its content, and in addition places the characters in a very foreign environment (Nigerian slums) which gives it an added level of interest. 


Groundhog Day (1993) 3.5 / 5

Groundhog Day is a movie built entirely around its premise, which is introduced early on in the film. That being said, by the half way point, this movie begins to drag, and the implication that he must keep redoing his actions in order to become 'perfect' and impress the girl he loves irks me. Nevertheless, the movie doesn't fail to be charming in a few points and Bill Murray plays his role well. A simple, light romance/comedy flick.


Twelve Monkeys (1995) 3.5 / 5

Not as clever as Brazil, Time Bandits, or other original Terry Gilliam fare, this movie suffers from a plot  device that is easily recognizable and overused - the "everyone thinks he's crazy but he's really not, and he needs to save the world, quick, but no one listens to him", or the 'boy who cried wolf' plot. The main characters had very little chemistry, and the ending was overdramatized and unsatisfactory. However, Brad Pitt gives a splendid performance as a mental ward patient that is worth watching to see.

Silent Hill (2006) 1.5 / 5


A confusing mess. This movie is maybe forty minutes too long, and seems... indecisive. It feels as if the  movie was sincerely split between portraying the gameplay elements/atmosphere of the Silent Hill series and the central story. Though the visuals were surprisingly excellent, and the soundtrack, which highlighted music straight from the Silent Hill series, was pleasing, this movie all in all fails to deliver any sort of satisfaction to watch. Dialogue was also terrible and corny. At one point the main character is mobbed by a party of Silent Hill 'nurses' that all look like they're in a rave and partying hard. Also, the husband's role in this is completely useless. A disappointing (well, actually I didn't really expect much better) movie that fails to live up to its potential.



No comments:

Post a Comment